Projects


SERVICE ROBOTS -- I assisted Professor Pamela Hinds with a successful proposal to the National Science Foundation to study the interaction of people and robots in the workplace, the first such study of its kind. I initiated a relationship with the Pyxis Corporation (since acquired) to allow us to study their Helpmate robots at work in various hospitals. I also worked with Professor Hinds to create an social experiment (still under wraps) using a robot from the Robot Factory that I was responsible for specifying and integrating into the experimental setting.

FIELD ROBOTS -- I was the project co-leader with Eric Frew for the HUMMINGBIRD Autonomous Helicopter Project in the Aerospace Robotics Laboratory at Stanford University. I was responsible for developing the operator interface and the onboard logic for interacting with the operator, and I ran the testing program.

Note: All .doc documents on the remainder of this page are in Word for Windows 6.0 format.

PRESS.DOC -- With a budget of $500,000, Kevin Jones, Clark Love, Randel Harbur, and I designed this process for Whirlpool as our second senior design project. The final design only cost $120,000, was contracted out and constructed, and is currently being used in Whirlpool's Oxford, Mississippi plant. This design reduced the length of time necessary to change a progressive die from four hours to fifteen minutes. It has now become the model for the rest of the plant. The stress analysis was done on a Mathcad PLUS 6.0 file, WHIRLPOL.MCD. *

ADAPTER.DOC -- This project for Lafayette Industries, a company that employs developmentally-challenged people, developed a mechanism for assisting the employees in the assembly of fiber optic adapters. The most rewarding part of this assignment was working with the end users and seeing them improve. Randel Harbur, Clark Love, and I did this for our first senior design project. *

KANBAN.DOC -- My first experience with a real-life manufacturing application of the kanban inventory control theory. Clark Love, Randel Harbur and I developed the preliminary numbers for different scenarios for the press cell described above. We used a spreadsheet for Excel for Windows for the calculations. These numbers were implemented in the press cell that uses our quick die change process.*

PUMPJET.DOC -- Learning about turbine design the old-fashioned way, I did quite a few detailed hand-drawn scale drawings of the pump blades (rotor and stator) for this advanced waterborne propulsion system. Unfortunately, there is only one set of copies, and my professor still has them all. (No drawings available)

HEAT.DOC -- As the final project for my senior heat transfer project, I was asked to design a system that would reduce the heat loss of a typical house through windows during the winter. The design looked at not only the heat and economc savings, but the aesthetics, social impact, safety, and reliability of this advanced window shade. A breakeven analysis is included in the report which shows that my design would have paid for itself in approximately seven months. *

ENGINE.DOC -- As a part of my senior dynamics of machinery class, this project involved the preliminary design of a six-cylinder inline two-stroke engine. Most of the analysis was done using software included with our textbook. A Mathcad PLUS 6.0 file EFLYWHL.MCD was used to determine the size of the flywheel.*

FLUDPROJ.DOC -- My first consulting-type scenario, this report describes my suggestions for a water supply design for a fictional industrial park. The main consideration was the amount of water head available, the types of pumps available, and the head loss due to friction in the pipes due to length and size.*

CATCH.DOC -- As one of our first collaborative efforts, Clark Love and I redesigned a door knob that had failed so that it would be able to withstand 15% greater impacts at no change in material and only slight retooling cost. We tried to submit it to the Crown Company, maker of the catch, but they were not interested. It definitely would have helped them. *

CYCLE.DOC -- My first experience with a control application, this report outlines the steps taken to find the basic parameters for a motorcycle suspension system. It also initiated my first experience with using Mathcad as a word processing tool along with its equation handling capability, as shown in this Mathcad PLUS 6.0 file, MCYCLE.MCD.

* If you are interested in seeing the corresponding drawings, constructed using the CAD software Silver Screen, please contact me at hlj@sun-valley.stanford.edu and I will be glad to email you the appropriate files. I did not include links to them due to disk storage constaints. Note: Silver Screen is out of production and the latest version I have does not run on WinNT, Win2000, or WinXP and I do not know of any file conversion programs.